Monday, November 30, 2009

Day 3- Palmyra Syria



The Citadel at Palmyra








View from the Citadel on top of a mountain











Pretty sunset view







Citadel :)












Theatre in Palmyra







Ruins











Sweet ruins







More Ruins










Ancient Tomb










Ruins with the Citadel in the background








The big tomb





WE were so close to Baghdad















Bedouin Cafe







Me in my bride outfit








Pretty bride headdress- I know you all are probably laughing :)










Inside the Bedouin shop









All of us!




So the first day we spent walking around Damascus and decided to take a day trip the second "real"day we were in Syria. We paid a driver and traveled 250 km north of Damascus to the ancient city called Palmyra- what was known historically as "an oasis" for desert travelers.

We left early Saturday morning and drove for about 90 mins. We stopped at a Bedouin tribe that ran a cafe and little gift shop to break up the drive. It was awesome, we all shopped alittle more and one of the bedouin men decided to dress us all up like bedouin women... that was a treat haha- he really liked me and wanted me to marry him, which was kind of creepy, he was trying to offer my friends camels... needless to say I politely declined.

Once we arrived to Palmyra we spend about three hours looking through all the ruins. It was by far the most amazing place with ruins I've seen yet. It put Jordan's ruins to shame. I dont really know the history of Palmyra but it's an huge ancient roman city, I encourage you all to do some research if you are interested. Either way, it was really cool because it was in the desert but also enclosed by mountains with literally an oasis filled with palm trees and small body of water. We had a great time exploring, ate a nice traditional lunch and watched the sun set.

We then went back to Damascus, and hung out in the hostel for a bit. We had some wine with a french couple and then ended up eating dinner with a man from Amsterdam, it was really cool. Dinner was at this funky little cafe, we all had some more traditional food and smoked some Syrian hookah. It was a nice relaxing night after a pretty intense day.

Sunday morning we got up early and headed back to the boarder, we didnt want to take any more chances so we didnt stay the morning in Damascus like I had hoped. It was a lot easier coming back to Jordan, the total trip was about 4 hours, THANK GOD. We got back to our apartment, made some dinner and watched a movie. Today we had off also, I've just been blogging and getting some homework done. I hope you all enjoy my pictures. It's crazy I only have a week and a half of class left... I'll keep you all updated on my last few weeks here, soon enough it will be Christmas! Miss you all :) Ma'salaama!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alicia - glad you had a fun (but safe) trip to Syria. A country I'm not allowed in for the obvious political reasons, so you know have a passport "stamp" that I don't! I love your pictures and can't wait to do some traveling with you when we come to get you...wait for it...IN TWO MORE WEEKS! I love you in the local clothes too; they're not funny at all...really ;) By the way, not that it's too important but as your father I am interested to know..."how many camels was that nice man offering???" Love you bunches - Dad

    ReplyDelete