Thursday, November 5, 2009

Wow it's November already?

Time has been both an enemy and a friend recently. I've been very stressed out with all my classes, not to mention the looming case study for my internship. I cant believe it's already November, but I also am counting down the days until I step off the plane in December. My mixed emotions have continued, I feel out of place here, like I will never fully fit in. Part of me feels like I am missing out, I wish I could travel more and see more places while Im abroad, but I have so much work I have to stay committed.

My friends and I are planning a trip to Syria over the next Eid (break) which is around 4 days right at the end of November. I am bummed I am going to miss out on Thanksgiving, it will be my first official Holiday away from home :( as well as my 21st birthday. I'm sure the celebration will continue once I return home though, and I know my roommates have some stuff planned here :) Other than that things are pretty low key. I've really cracked down and started researching for my Case Study and have been productive. I honestly dont have that many class days left, I think we are down to 23 or something like that. Its really close, but far away. Ive got a ton to accomplish before I wrap the semester up.

As for Jordan, I found a blog of a student who studied here over a year ago... he had a really great post of "typical life" here... thought I'd share it with everyone!

Arabisms

You know you’re in Jordan if:

  • The policemen carry AK-47s and wear camo.
  • The graffiti crudely spray-painted all over the concrete walls either 1) contains a religious phrase praising God, or 2) advertises for some local business.
  • None of the signs written in English are grammatically correct.
  • Crossing the road is an act of faith and everyone is devoutly religious.
  • American fast food places are ritzy.
  • American fast food places do delivery.
  • American fast food is ridiculously expensive.
  • Taking out your Gateway 2000 desktop computer that’s been in storage since 1999 and starting a local internet cafe with it sounds like a good idea.
  • The local microbus has “what God wills!” written above the door and plays Qur’anic verses after sunset.
  • Even though the women show infinitely less skin than they do in America, they have a much more heightened sense of fashion.
  • Climbing around on the thousand year old local ruins isn’t only allowed, it’s encouraged.
  • People teach or run a business during the day and drive a taxi during the night.
  • Everyone out in the country honks and waves for you and invites you over for dinner.
  • The local bookstore carries twice as many religious books as anything else.
  • Any article of clothing with any kind of English printed on it–no matter what it says or whether it even makes sense–is posh.
  • Local traffic laws would make more sense if you posted them at the bumper car arena at the theme park back home.
  • Several newspapers refers to Israel as “the Zionist entity,” not as a sovereign nation.
  • Men hold men’s hands and women hold women’s hands, and nobody has a problem with it, but it’s rare to see a man holding a woman’s hand.
  • Cell phones double as boom boxes.
  • Even though the streets are abhorrently filthy, everyone’s clothes are immaculately clean.
  • The television is another member of the family.
  • When you go to pay a taxi driver and ask for change, he responds by saying “no, that’s alright.”
  • You go to the bathroom and instead of toilet paper you find a hose.
  • Watermelon is the quintessential after-dinner dessert.
  • Copyright doesn’t exist, especially for pirated DVDs.
  • Olive trees are so common, they grow uncultivated on the roadside in some places.
  • Taxi drivers try to pick up passengers by honking at every pedestrian walking on the side of the road.
  • You can enjoy fireworks every night from all of the wedding celebrations.
  • When you’re driving in the country and you pass a village, you have to slow down for the speed bumps.
  • There are metal detectors at the gates of all the malls and hotels, but nobody cares if you set them off…repeatedly…
That's all for now... Ma'salaama :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia, just wanted you to know we think and pray for you and your studies a whole lot more than we write or email :( sorry! Really looking forward to welcoming you back home! Time will pass quickly so be sure to capture every possible moment while you are there. Lots of Love XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's hysterical that you have a blog called "Wow it's November Already?" and I have one called, "November! It's only November!?" Just shows that time is relative ;) I hope time is more friendly than not, and that everything goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well we changed our name offically to ALTER EGO AT LONDONTOWNE SALON!!!!.. WE WANTED TO WISH U THE BEST 21ST BIRTHDAY U CAN HAVE!!!!! SUE SAYS WHEN U COME HOME WE SHOULD ALL GO OUT.. MAYB TO THE HANGER CLUB!!!.. LOL HOPE U ARE HAVING A GREAT TIME.. X0X THE SALON GIRLS XOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Counting down the days til you return home!! We all miss you so much and can't wait to see you!!!
    Hugs and Kisses,
    Mom
    39 days....

    ReplyDelete