Sunday, October 18, 2009

MID TERMS




Well true to Arabic culture, I was shocked to find out that this week is mid terms. Without any prior warning I showed up to class today to find out the rest of this week is Midterms and I have some type of test everyday. Haha kids were literally freaking out and complaining to the study abroad office, and all they had to say was, "You are not in America" and "Things here are different, just go with it". SO thats what Im doing, going to try to study as much as possible, but not stress too much.




There are HUGE differences between University here and in America. In America, students are given a solid plan at the start of a semester, they know what they will be studying, when they will be tested and what is expected of them. Here, you go with the flow. Grades are not emphasized as heavily, learning and internalizing the material is. It really is amazing at how freaked out us America students get when there is no "formal" grading system. To think, our wholes lives we have been working so hard for A's and B's, and here you are given a grade based on what the teacher thinks you deserve, not how well you do on a test. It really makes sense. At least I think so. Needless to say, it will be a stressful week none the less. LOTS and LOTS of Arabic. I must say I am impressed and disappointed in my language skills. I am impressed because I can recognize a lot of what people say, I can pick up words, phrases during conversations and follow along very well in class. However, Im disappointed because this language is SO hard. Col Jordanian Arabic is so different from Formal, so its like two languages. Everyday, I struggle to keep the two separate. I get frustrated because I know how to say things formally, but not in the daily dialect. I know its a long process, but I dont think I will ever become fluent. I've lowered my standards, I just want to become proficient haha. I just want to know enough to get by. I really have improved, but still everyday is a struggle. Its even more frustrating to know that I will lose a lot of my skill once I return home. I wont be hearing it nearly as much, and I def wont be using it as much. Mom and Dad better start taking lessons, I want to keep my skills up haha




As for my weekend, it was pretty chill. Thursday night Alison's Father took us out for another wonderful dinner. This time we went to Le Royal, a gorgeous hotel with a breath-taking view of the whole city! About half way up there is a restaurant and bar with a view that goes all the way around the hotel exterior. It was really awesome. Not to mention the food and wine were delicious. Thanks again Mr Kumro!!!
Friday I actually made some money, a few girlfriends and I helped an elderly women pack up her home to move. She was very traditional so she requested all women to help. We never saw her, instead we dealt with her son, who honestly was just looking for some young American girls. He showed up with moving boxes, tape and a ton of beer. Haha just what we all were expecting right? Traditional mother, of course the son is going to be a raging alcoholic. Nah Im just kidding. He was nice and realized soon on that his drink choice was not really " culturally appropriate or appreciated" so we all stuck with soda. Anyways we spent about 4 hours packing up tons of books, dishes and trinkets and made 83 JD each. Which is the equivalent to about 130 American Dollars, it was nice :)
Yesterday we hit up the souk again, I did some more X-mas shopping. I broke down and bought a hookah for myself, its really pretty and handpainted. Im super excited! Again my sense of season is very messed up, its like over 90 degrees here so I cant really believe its almost November.
I guess thats all for now. This week will be busy, filled with lots of studying. Im half way through my program, can you guys believe it? I know I cant. The weeks seem to fly by here. Mom better start the countdown til Im home :) Miss everyone! Ma'salaama!








1 comment:

  1. Marhaba Alicia,

    Love the pictures and stories....when do you have time for class (haha)? Don't stress the tests - you will do fine as usual! We're less than 60 days away now from picking you up (and enjoying some free time) in Amman...can't wait to see you...Daddy misses his baby girl!

    Be safe; have fun and be well. All our love and prayers be with you! Ma'salaama - Dad

    ReplyDelete