Sunday, September 27, 2009

First day on the job!

Today we started class, along with the other 40 thousand students that attend UJ. WHOA its really really different. If before I thought I had been "stared" at a good amount, now it's constant. I can't tell you how crowded the campus is and how different it feels since just before Ramadan. I've also noticed a lot of differences attending a Middle Eastern University:

1. People smoke everywhere, the streets, sidewalks, cafes and even in the class buildings... I even saw a kid smoking right next to a huge non-smoking sign... smoking is just a major part of the culture, its unbelievable. (Surprisingly, the average Jordanian lifespan is longer the average Americans... I have absolutely no idea how with all the smoking)

2. Everyone keeps their cell phone or phones on and loud. Most phones here are prepaid, so many kids have 2 or 3... if you thought talking on your phone in public is bad in America you have something coming to you... here you can talk wherever and whenever, and its actually rude to not pick up your phone even if your in class. Texting is also very popular, both my professors today probably texted at least 3 or 4 times during the class periods, and yes the text messages are LOUD arab ringtones/ songs too.

3. Here you wait for your professor no matter what... theres no ten or 15 min rule. You wait and if your professor shows up with 5 mins left in the class, you're expected to be there for those 5 mins.

4. While many of you think the arab community is backward and traditional, I was surprised to see many girls in popular American styles. The girls who did choose to veil were also very stylish, sporting high heels, full make-up, bright colored and patterned veils and lots of accessories. The veil is popular but also a MAJOR fashion here.

5. Guys here act like they rule the world. You better move out of the way because men have the right of way. The guys are also really fashionable and almost too pretty for my taste.

6. Holding hands is a must... but only with friends of the same sex. Boys here walk hand in hand and greet each other by kissing on the cheek, they ARENT homophobic (like most American boys) Girls hold hands too, or link arms. You NEVER see a boy and a girl holding hands, it's a BIG no no... you can differentiate the couples because they walk as close as they can without touching, it is so cute and really innocent. I like the cultural views on PDA here, and I know once I get back to the states I am going to be in total shock of the male/female interactions.

7. School is for learning, but also a major place to socialize, kids hang out around campus even if theres no class because they dont want to go home. There really aren't dorms here, Arabs believe in living at home until marriage, so school is ALWAYS a zoo, and there are people playing games, eating and just sitting everywhere you look.

My internship also started today. It went rather well, although the cab got lost again.... I had my boss write in arabic special directions to the building on a sticky note, so in the future I should be okay. I arrived, had tea with my co-workers, got some information to read about the company and their goals, and had more tea. After that I met Majed, who's the assistant that I will be working under. He showed me my desk (which is awesome by the way) and WE had tea. After tea for the third time, Majed told me the office was ordering lunch out (which is a big deal here and I got super excited) I then learned we would be ordering McDonalds (fast food is really popular here, and often a "special" occasion, every fast food place delivers too.... these guys on motorbikes bring you whatever you want, it's nuts) Anyways, I havent eaten McDonalds in who knows how long, but I ordered a salad, I didnt want to be rude. After our food arrived, we all sat down and my co-workers had a ball talking to me about university, America, my friends and my life in general. They were all SHOCKED that McDonalds was not "the best restaurant in America" contrary to popular belief. It was really neat to branch out and talk to Arabs who arent involved in my program, I really am excited to practice my Arabic in another setting, and just experience another side of the culture. After lunch I bet you cant guess what we did... we HAD TEA!!! It's such a cultural thing, you think the british are bad, geeze Arabs must have every tea thats made on earth, and then some. I finished my reading, wrote in my work journal for class and then Majed drove me home (he insisted for 20 mins and told me I was on his way). I can't begin to describe how generous Arabs are, and how they will instantly take you under their wing and treat you like a good friend or member of the family. My ride home with Majed was very sweet, he showed me some good restaurants and coffee places (thank god no tea places) and told me if I needed anything he'd be right around the corner. He also told me I was his daughter for the next 3 months so I would have to come over and meet his wife for dinner. He was so sincere and immediately made me feel at home, I'm really glad I'll be working under him for the next few months.

Other than that, my day was pretty uneventful. I do feel very lucky though, because Ive escaped some pretty recent dangers. Yesterday, my roommates and I went to downtown Jordan and shopped in a souk. It was marvelous, and there's tons of great stuff, however the cab ride over gave us a big scare. We fortunately just missed being in a large accident that was on the front page of some of the newspapers this morning. We were driving down the road, heard a crash and saw the van next to us spin out of control and hit a guardrail. All the cars behind us stopped short and there was a really big pile up. If we had been a few seconds behind where we were on the road, we would have gotten hit. Thankfully, we did not, but unfortunately, we saw the whole thing first hand right out the back window. Allhamdulelah (thanks be to god) we are all okay. I also turned on my computer today and saw a big article about the Cairo Airport having a big bomb scare, two days after I had left Egypt to fly home. Scary huh? Thanks for all the prayers guys, and keep em coming!!!

Tonight we are having dinner with our landlords. They've really reached out and been our "semi parents" here. They made us dinner the night we got home from Cairo, and continue to bring us food or tell us to come for dinner. For tonight, we are having Arabic BBQ, I must say Im excited, our landlords are really great cooks, however they like to prepare some strange things. Hopefully the meat will be easily identified haha, Arabs tend to cook some strange things. Hope everyone's doing well at home! Ill post again soon. Ma'salaama!

4 comments:

  1. We love the blog, Alicia! I check it every day at lunch. It looks like you are having a life changing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg alicia! i will keep praying for you, make sure you tell those drivers to keep you safe or they're gonna have a problem called caitlin on their hands! i ruv you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...yes,so interesting & humorous. Feel like I'm right there experiencing Jordanian life with you. Thanks. Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. .... too funny Alicia! McDonalds,the "best restaurant in America" What a culture change. Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete